Tuesday, October 11, 2011

A Visit to a Meeting

I will admit I was hesitant to attend the mental health information meeting.  While I knew I would draw some comfort from the speaker who lost her daughter to suicide (and I did), I walked in to the room reluctant to admit that my life had anything to do with mental illness.

If the event had simply been presentations by people impacted by mental illness, I would have been just fine and chalked the evening up as a success.  The problem for me - and I know I am not alone - is mental health professionals.

The one at this particular meeting was down right jolly.   "Mental health treatment works," she said. "There are medications to control mental illness."  As if it was that simple.  As if those of us who lost everything to the mental illness missed the magic medication that was going to fix everything up just perfectly.   She had lots of support groups to offer.   I wanted to ring her neck.  (Figuratively, but you get the idea.)

Dear Mental Health Professionals,  here are a few tips from some raw experience:

1) Please stop comparing mental illness to diabetes.  I am really tired of that one.  Diabetes is diagnosed through specific tests and has an accepted regimen of care that does not include drugs that are labeled as dangerous for children and adolescents.  

2) Do not tell me that mental health treatment works as a universal truth.  It does not.  Suggest that many people are helped by mental health care treatment. 

3) Talk therpay will work for some.  But if  mental illness has a physical genesis (like the ever present diabetes, for example) then talking can't be expected to result in a cure.  Acknowledge that while medications are available, there are risks associated with them that need to be carefully worked through with a doctor.

4) Draw a picture of mental health treatment in strak contrast to physical medical care.  The primary model of doctor runs tests, get results and gives patient medication does not exist in mental health. In fact, the model works in reverse.  Sort of.  There are no tests.    Tell people that; coach patients and their families on how to work most effectively within the system.

5) Advocate for funds for research.  Always. 

No comments:

Post a Comment