Friday, April 8, 2011

Paris

Paris
I am going to Paris as part of my graduate program.  Have I mentioned that yet?   It’s a ten day trip this summer and I am really looking forward to it.

The only problem with this whole experience is that I am old.   Looking at my fellow students,  I am old enough to be the mother of virtually every single one of them. 

We had our first “meeting” today – mostly to fill out paperwork absolving the school of all responsibility in the event that this adventure includes our death or other unforeseen catastrophe.  During a break in the paper signing,  the professor valiantly asked what we were most looking forward to.   “Eating” said one fellow traveller.  “Shopping” said another.

I am jealous of these younger students. This trip is simply fun and exciting for them at a point in their life when fun and excitement is exactly what they should be looking forward to. 

Do I even tell them?  Do I talk about the fact my daughter would be their age if she had lived?  And that this trip, for me, is part of my journey to figure out who I am without her? 

Do I mention that Frances and I have been together for 27 years and that I have never taken a trip without a family member?   Would it encourage this younger group to know that as independent as I may seem to them, they are in many ways more independent than I?

Do I  share with them that the primary reason I am taking this trip is that I have something to prove to myself about life after death?

Or should I just come up with a cute response about what I am most looking forward to?  Something like “the wine will be good and the sights oh so memorable.”

No comments:

Post a Comment