Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Thank You, Collin!


Birthday4My nephew had the choice to celebrate his birthday with a weekend in New York City, or to spend the weekend with us.  He chose to spend the weekend with us.

I don’t think that he is old enough (11) to understand how he has honored us with his choice.   For him, we are a safe place where there are plenty of video games and not too many rules or restrictions.  I don’t think we’re a service project.

I do think that Collin’s choice to spend his birthday weekend with us is a huge affirmation.  It suggests that we are good with kids – fun to be around – a choice worth making.  I know that Molly saw us that way too – I really do;  I don’t think her death was in any way about us.  But it is incredibly special to know that young people continue to look up to us, to need us, to seek us out.  Our nieces and nephews, Molly's friends, our neighbors - young people are at the heart of our healing.  And we are grateful.

So this weekend I’ll be baking a lemon birthday cake, buying some balloons, and heading to the local adventure park.  Maybe we’ll go to Dave and Buster’s.  I know we’ll play lots of wii. 

Collin has voted with his birthday in our favor, and I can’t wait to make it a special and fun occasion for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment