Thursday, November 3, 2011

Vegas

imagesJust got back from Vegas. 

Vegas has a definite underside.  It is smoky and LOUD and I was there over Halloween, so it was also particularly garish.  Crude.  I enjoyed the Osmond shows, and Human Nature – the Motown group – is great too, but basically I don’t need Vegas.

Except that Frances loves it, and sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.   My grandmother used to say, after losing her husband less than 20 years into their marriage, that she often wished she had going fishing with him more.  A cousin who lost her husband when their children were very young is comforted by the fact that she went to many Nascar races with him – even though she could think of plenty of other things to do.

If there is one thing I know it is that life can change in an instant.

So, my style is to find ways to enjoy Vegas once a year or so…  and over the years I have done that.   The spas are wonderful, and minimally priced if you just settle in for the day and don’t get any treatments.  The restaurants are great – particularly if you go for lunch when prices are lower than evening menus.  And I gamble a bit too, especially with the new fancy slot machines they have these days.  I can find ways to have fun.

I don’t love Vegas.  I am always glad to come home.  But the reality is that I am also relatively happy to go, because I am spending time building memories (ask me about the Vegas Timeshare presentation sometime!) and I have learned, from painful experience, just how sustaining memories can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment