Monday, July 21, 2014

Pool Volleyball



Since we just moved to Arizona and school is out for the summer (so I am not subbing), my job has been meeting people.

There are several challenges to meeting people here:  First, the "snowbirds" are gone from this 55 Plus Community, resulting in a) fewer people to meet; b) fewer scheduled activities; and c) less open hours at the club house.  Second, it is hot, so folks are never outside.  The trick to survival in this climate is to pull the car in to an attached garage, bring the garage door down, go inside and huddle around the air conditioning vents. Not exactly the porch sitting with lemonade of days gone by.

Still, I persevere.  Yesterday, I presented myself for pool volleyball.  I had gone to the pool simply to be around people, so I hadn't PLANNED on pool volleyball, and wasn't attired correctly: pool shoes would have been good, and a pool shirt with long sleeves would have been better.  A cap with a full rim or back flap would have been excellent.  Supportive gear for my fingers and wrists would have fit right in.  I made do with sunscreen, sunglasses and a baseball cap.

I don't think it is an exaggeration to say that I have not played any form of volleyball since high school - which was over 30 years ago - and trust me, any volleyball played then was not particularly memorable.   So pool volleyball was a lark - something new to me.  I was attracted by the "groupiness" of it - the fact that folks were laughing and having fun and it looked like a better way to meet people than sitting on a lounge pretending to read a book.

The established players were welcoming - sort of.  They were clear that there were rules and that each team was in it to win it.  Their approach to the whole thing was fun - but serious.  Don't use a fist to hit the ball. Don't mess up.  Don't jump - let the person behind you handle any ball you can't reach.  Keep your hands in the air.  Don't mess up.  Did I already mention that one about not messing up?

They play for  2 HOURS.  I said from the get-go that I wasn't in for that long, and I made it an hour before pleading that my shoulders were starting to burn.  I enjoyed the game - I really did.  And I definitely hit the ball some.  But I did mess up.  And it was (surprisingly) difficult to maintain the necessary level of concentration.  Needless to say, by the time I left the pool, far from feeling fully engaged in a great group activity, I was mostly stressed out.  

I don't think that they missed me.

Almost inevitably, meeting new people means trying new things.  And as much as this culture and any number of self-help book encourage BRANCHING OUT and LEAVING YOUR COMFORT ZONE, there ARE complications to attempting something new.  Start with the fact that my bumbling in volleyball interferes with folks who take it seriously and are really good.  Then, there is the entire issue of humility: it is a little stressful to be publicly not very good at something.  And in this case,  there is the added complication that I LIVE with these people.  It's not like I won't see them again,and I don't want to be known as the wimpy player or the one who quits or the person who can't be counted on.  I think branching out is great.  Leave your comfort zone, for sure.  Embrace your active golden years!  And then give yourself a pat on the back and some extra credit - because it is not an easy thing to do.

This morning I went to Kettle Ball.  Had never heard of it.  The established participants were welcoming. The instructor was easy to follow.  And I stayed after class with some other participants for extra coaching where - get this -  I was the ONLY one to be able to align my back correctly.

AHA!  Felt good.  I might actually be good at this Kettle Ball thing.  Problem is, I'd rather be good at the volleyball.....  



No comments:

Post a Comment