Wednesday, August 24, 2011

An Encounter

0411090743441pa260287walkinre_tToday I was stopped and asked for directions to a path I know well but is difficult to find.  The folks were in a van – and it was full – two adults and maybe five kids.  Clearly an observantly Jewish group. 

I knew how to get where they wanted to go, but I could tell my directions were making no sense.  I was trying to direct them to a small, unmarked path between two houses. 

So I suggested that they just let me in their car so that I could direct them.  No skin off my nose – it was the direction I was going and I enjoy the random encounter.   And no security risk for me either.  Please – a car full of kids?  I was fine.

It was awkward for a moment.  The man smiled and said, “Well you look like a good sort; Is this a set up or something?  Can I see what is in your purse?”  I reminded him that he had stopped me.  He was smiling the whole time, a bit uncomfortable but willing to go with it.  The ride was about 5 blocks.

I think they were all a bit relieved when I directed them to park and got out of their car.   I pointed out the path, walked away and did not look back.  As fast as we were connected, we were separated again, but I am so grateful that we all took the risk.  Beats GPS for a change.

I instinctively liked the people.  They had a great spirit about them.  I hope they had a wonderful walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment