Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Practicing Chirstmas Spirit: Playing Hooky

 
hooky
I am playing hooky tomorrow.  I took myself out of substitute teacher circulation and will not be going to work.  This is a somewhat remarkable occasion; whatever else I am,  I am not a hooky playing kind of person.  I don’t know that I cut even one class in high school.  (But if I had, it would have been PE…..)
 
So, tomorrow is mine.  The plan is to do the final gift shopping, maybe even throwing in a gift or two for myself.  It’s the middle of the week, and I am hoping the stores and the parking lots won’t be gorged full and the store personnel will still be holding on to at least a sliver of holiday spirit.  If there is time, I’ll wrap presents too and maybe even have some hot chocolate (with Bailey’s!) by the fire.
 
But mostly, I will enjoy a brief sense of minor control over my own life.  When death has touched my life, it has been sudden and unexpected.  I know what it is to have life spiral out of control in an instant and I have been taught – brutally – that in most ways I am not in charge of things.  This second half of my life will surely have me practicing adjusting the sails more than futilely attempting to direct the wind. 
 
But that doesn’t mean I don’t control ANTHING!   Yes, the list of things over which I am powerless is infinite.  But tomorrow is a day to remind myself that there are a few things (like how I spend some of my time and how I take care of myself) that I can (and should!) control.  Let the hooky playing begin! 

No comments:

Post a Comment