Sunday, December 2, 2012

Practicing Christmas Spirit: Fixing the Watch

 
 
I have undeveloped consumer taste so I am not the best present giver.  Generally my gift giving strategy tends to boil down to a) something I would like; or b) something I think the other person should like.  This is not to be confused with carefully selected items based on observation of the receiver’s habits, recent purchases, style, etc…
 
Using my gift-giving strategy, I gave my mother an Anne Klein watch one year for Christmas.  Came in a box.  Included several discs to change the color on the perimeter of the face.  Was a name brand.  (I think.  Isn’t Anne Klein sort of a fashion statement?)
 
My mother, trust me, did not like it.   She wore it most every time she saw me, though, and it was in her drawer when my sister and I went through her things after she died.  The watch battery was drained, and the navy colored fashion disc was missing, but otherwise, it was in good shape.  So I claimed it back – not unlike the way you can claim gifts back in some of those dreadful office party Secret Santa games.
 
Now that the watch is mine, I understand why Mom didn’t love it.  It’s too big for one thing.   And without the navy disc, it has limited fashion use.  But in my quest to cultivate holiday spirit, I went out today had the watch battery replaced.
 
Love it.  Yes, it’s a little awkward because of the size.  But my mother used it it symbolize her love for me, and now that it is working and in tip-top shape, I won’t be able to look at it without reflecting on my love for her.
 
I’ll wear the red disc on Christmas.  Mom would like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment