Monday, September 20, 2010

Art

One of my passions is school. I totally screwed up my education when I was a full time student; I stated getting A's, liked it, and chose classes that I was pretty sure would get me an A. As a result, I graduated in the top 5% of my college class and learned very little. Memorize? Yes. Learn? Not really. College is such a blur for me: I wasn't a partier; I wasn't really a scholar; I wonder if I was really there?

So I am making up for it now by getting a Masters in Liberal Studies. Part of my unemployment plan is to take more classes and really dedicate myself to them. (I realize that there is expense involved with this plan - MAJOR expense - another reason to abandon Starbucks).

This time around, I am not doing anything that I don't want to do. I am taking risks with the papers and really expressing my ideas - even if I think my ideas might not be what the professor had in mind. And I am LOVING it. I am taking classes I never would have taken the first time around. Who knew philosophy could be fun?

Anyway, tonight was the first night of a required art class. God help us. My last art class involved a box of 64 Crayola crayons - the kind with the sharpener on the back. I have always considered my drawing ability to be at the stick figure level so this should be VERY interesting.

To get us started, we were asked to draw balloons so that the professor could get a sense of our ability level. I thought my drawings of balloons was done - and heck, I was feeling pretty good about it. And just as I was telling myself that I was not half bad at this and that perhaps this class would not drive a permanent wedge into my GPA, the professor suggested that I had done the entire drawing backward and had a ways to go. He was nice about it.

I will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment