Friday, September 17, 2010

Starbucks

I have two coffee makers, a cappacino maker, and a daily Starbucks Habit. Today, as I ordered my daily Grande Skinny Cinnamon Dolce Latte for just over $4 I began to understand some of the more nuanced repercussions of my pending unemployment.

I can't do this anymore.

I can no longer afford a daily latte.

I need to start brewing my own.

But it is such a comforting habit... even a bit healthy if we talk about all of the milk that is in those lattes. Perhaps I should cut myself a break?

I really don't want to give up my lattes. And Eric, my barrista, he's going to notice if I stop dropping by. I know he will. In fact, if I stop going to my local Starbucks, I think that the store's sales figures will show a measurable decline. (My waistline may show a measurable decline as well since I won't be picking up those deceptively caloric mini vanilla scones).

But you know, I have to make some changes, and lattes are going to be the first thing to go. It's a savings of between $75 and $100 a month. I sipped today's latte slowly. I knew.

And no, I have not told my mother yet about my unemployment. I have to figure out how to make lattes at home first. Then maybe I will tell her.

No comments:

Post a Comment