Sunday, September 19, 2010

Some Light

Right now they are saying my dad has Viral Meningitis and will fully recover. I was afraid he had samonella or e-coli because I gave him brownies for his birthday last week and they were just a bit gooey - undercooked even. The hypochondriac in me, a quality I picked up from Dad, was sure the brownies caused all of this when I heard that he was ill. So the news from the hospital is improving.

I went to the cathedral this morning - Dad would have wanted me to. And to be honest, I enjoy spending time there. Just arriving at the cathedral brings me a sense of calm; the grounds are a natural expression of God's boundless creativity, and the building itself seems to echo with the whispered prayers of generations . The sermons are spiritually challenging, the music creates a sense of infinity, and the rituals are performed with care. God is present.

Part of this next chapter of my life has to do with God. I am leaving my job because I was wasting so much time; I was more politician than servant; I was caught up in pettiness and image making that left me cold at the end of the day.

Whatever else I believe, I believe that how we use our time matters. In fact, it may be the only thing that matters. And I can simply no longer sit in a cubicle surfing the internet all day. So, I am practicing new ways to live my life. Ideas, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment