Thursday, September 16, 2010

Quitting My Job

Today I came in to a little bit of money. And the first thing I did was quit my job.

We are not talking a fortune here. Well under six figures. WELL under six figures.

And it is not like I just walked in to the office, all dramatic, and packed up my stuff in a flurry. No, I gave a month's notice. And then I will be GONE.

There is a piece of me that is crazy for doing this; I know that. I am under no ilusions about the economy - jobs are hard to come by and I am unlikely to ever again make the same amount of money that I was making in this last job. And if I harbored any illusions before I handed in that letter of resignation, NPR spent about 20 minutes of my drive home tonight making sure I understand just how bad the job market really is.

And, to be clear, I am walking away from more than a job - it's more like a 20 year career that I am walking away from.

I haven't told my mother yet. She is definitely not going to be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment