Sunday, December 5, 2010

National Security


While I live in the DC area, I don't drive DC too much and don't know the expressway system well. Far better to take the excellent Metro system than to tackle the crowded and unpredictable roadways.


Yesterday, though, there was not much choice and I had to drive. I overbooked myself with lunch at 12:15 and tea at 4 with enough time to drive between locations as long as I remembered my GPS car charger and didn't find myself lost on the maze of one way streets that is Washington..


All was right with the world until I get within - I don't know - 5 miles of the Pentagon. It's at that point that I was alerted "GPS Single Lost". Fabulous. I am driving 65 miles an hour, on roads that require instant decision making and I am on my own. If you were behind me, I apologize. My driving surely reflected the instant confusion that I was feeling as I guessed at what lane I should be in and what exit I should be attempting to use.
By stretching imagination, I suppose one could argue that our country's "enemies" will be slowed down when their GPS units don't work. But if my GPS stopped working in the name of national security, I am going to point out that the Pentagon is a massive building, clearly visible from land and sea and air and that a more pressing issue in this case might just be road safety. Just maybe.


Those who wish the US ill will and want to find the Pentagon will find it - trust me on this one - and let the rest of us (many of whom are tourists and visitors) get where we are going!












No comments:

Post a Comment