Thursday, December 30, 2010

Reverse Course


Today I am supposed to be flying to California for a family New Year's Party - a two-night stay brought to you by having a partner who works for the airlines.


I won't go into the ins and outs of employee airline travel, but suffice it to say that the weather has disrupted flights nationwide and my partner went to California. I stayed home.


There is a familiar fantasy about having the house to one's self for a few days. You know the fantasy - long baths with scented bath salts, healthy meals, thick novels and quiet - most especially, quiet.


Strangely, having been abruptly handed the "home to yourself" fantasy, I feel oddly out of place in my own skin. This morning, I woke up facing a hectic weekend of air travel and family, and by noon I was looking at four days on my own at home.


I live a very communal life, so this is taking some getting used to!


It is tempting to fill the time up with distraction - it would be very easy to do. I could call a friend to take a walk; I could go to the movies; I could cook a turkey and then post a message on Facebook inviting all comers over for dinner. And who knows, I may do all of those things.


But another way to go is to head to the grocery store for food that I love, crank up the ipod with music that I like (but no one else does), and then head to bed early for a long night sleep.


That's the route I am taking today. I'll let you know how tomorrow goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment