Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Social Studies


Middle school has a bad reputation. Among subsititute teachers, the word on the street is to avoid middle school at all costs.


And I am no expert after one and a half days at that level, but I gotta tell you, middle school is okay.


Today, the lesson was on Thomas Paine; it was fun to take Paine's concept of the "sunshine patriot" and attempt to make it a relevant concept for the students. Loved it - and they were old enough to hang in there with with me. The curriculim was challenging, and by and large the kids were well behaved - not necessarily engaged - but not bouncing off the walls either. Be not afraid of 6th - 8th graders!!


I am substituting in public school. Molly attended public school for grades 1-8 and attended private school for kindergarten and high school. I can't help but picture her in these classrooms. She always had excellent grades, and her teachers loved her for that, but was she involved? Would she have contributed to the discussion today on patriotism? Was she nice to the subs?


Molly is a part of everyday that I am in a classroom and I am helpless not to wonder if this teaching gig is moving me forward or if it is, instead, miring me in memories and imaginings that I have no way to verify. Perhaps a little bit of both.


My guess is that Molly wouldn't have cared one wit about Thomas Paine; she is the kid who resfused to say the pledge of allegiance at camp and never expressed a great sense of national pride. But - she would have gotten an A on the test.


For my part, even acknowledging the memories, I know that I loved the opportuinty to work with young teenagers on such an important topic.


Is teaching my next career? I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment