Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Brief Look at Reality





Let's see.


My undergraduate degree is in business, so I know
a litle bit about income and expense.

I was willing to substitute teach yesterday and today, but I didn't get jobs. While I have filled the time with my lengthy to-do list and I am happy to have had the time off, I also have to admit the fact that substitute teaching is, almost by definition, not going to be a dependable source of income.


And I just found out that my consulting gig is going to pay HALF of what I had hoped that it would pay. Hmmm. I am NOT loving the work, but I don't think that I should just walk away from it out of some misplaced pride either. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush; or something like that.

So, the income side of the ledger is increasingly uncertain, while the expense side of the ledger is not. In theory, we should be saving money. That is not quite how it is playing out.

Frances' birthday celebrations are costing between $3,000 and $4,000 (closer to $4,000). We are having a ball. A lot of fun. But turning 50 is not cheap!

And I just put down a $500 deposit on a school trip to France that I am taking this summer. I am looking forward to it, and couldn't take the trip if I had a full time job. So, it is a GIFT to be able to take this trip. But, again, it is has already cost money and is going to cost quite a bit more.

We have enjoyed the last couple of months; I had stayed at my job too long and it feels really good to be free of the constraints that full time professional responsibilty brings.

Since quitting my job, I have indulged in the dream that I will never again have to deal with an HR department and a full time job. Today, that seems like a fantasy. Reality is going to crash in on us very soon and we need to find some discipline in the financial aspects of our new life!

No comments:

Post a Comment