Saturday, February 12, 2011

A Travel Story

Frances and I boarded a plane for a 5 hour flight and we chose, very specifically, two aisle seats.  My last cross continental flight bordered on torture, and the aisle seat was a very intentional choice for me.

As folks continued to board, there were fewer and fewer seats available - and no seats together.  But there was an open seat next to me...  and one in the center of the row in front of me.

A couple got on the plane, walked the back (where we were) and realized that they were going to have to split up.  The guy asked folks if they would be willing to move so that he could sit with whoever the woman was.  He received a lot of polite, but very clear, NOs.

The woman (25 - 30 years old)  took the seat next to me, began to tremble and started to cry. The fellow took the center seat a row up and wished us luck in dealing with her.

Now...  what to do?  These are grown adults who, if there was a legitimate health concern, had several ways of proactively taking control of their seating.  I wasn't feeling sorry for them.  But I WAS feeling (a little bit) bad that  my butt was not budging from my aisle seat.

Ultimately, a 6ft. 4 inch man gave up his aisle seat and came to sit in the middle seat next to me.  He had a VERY long flight.  I was impressed by his generosity and I guess I still feel a bit guilty that I couldn't summon up the same response.

Once they were seated next to each other, the young couple had a pleasant and  uneventful flight.

Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment