Thursday, June 26, 2014

A Generous Pour



I am sure that there are exceptions to this.  Every 55 Plus Community resident is not a "keep that alcohol flowing for as long as possible" kind of drinker.  

But, from my observations so far, the easiest ones to meet sure are.

Obviously, it is easy to start random conversations with people at the bars.  Everyone is there because they want to drink and chat with their neighbors.  It's akin to drinking at home - no car is necessary to get to the clubhouse, so the restraint imposed by avoiding DWIs does not really apply.  Some folks have to be at work the next day, but many don't.  Have a third! And a fourth!  

There are alternatives of course.  The pools and health clubs are also public places, but most people at the pool are reading a book, lost in their own routines or chatting with people they already know.  And know for a fact that beer and wine are available at the pool food shack at very reasonable prices.  To be fair, I was able to talk with people when I went on a bike ride with the bike club - but that was not exactly focused conversation as we dodged traffic and attempted to keep up with each other.

That bar stool has a lot to recommend it.

I imagine there is a seasonal aspect to this.  As the "snowbirds" return in the fall, I expect to see an increase in club meetings and other activities. But if I am looking at my 55 Plus social life-to-date, a lot of it revolves around alcohol..

A neighbor dropped by last night - wine glass in hand and wine as a gift - and we had a lovely chat.  I think I will like her.  Another neighbor - who I met at the bar - invited me over to her house for cocktails.  Frances and I, not to be outdone, have installed (and stocked) a wine refrigerator and a liquor cabinet.  Can I get something for you?

This "lifestyle" is a strange juxtaposition between Health Spa and Irish pub.  The gym equipment is top of the line.  The biking and hiking can become a way of life.  The golf courses beckon.  The quiet is protected.  The library is carefully cultivated.  One can find one's self here.  

But one can lose oneself just as easily.  Somewhere between the second and the third pour.  








No comments:

Post a Comment