Thursday, June 19, 2014

Not Quite Yet



Some of this is going really, really well.

Like, I walked in to the clubhouse bar last night for the big 65th Wedding Anniversary Karaoke Party that offered free drinks to anyone who showed up, and I immediately felt at home.  I was not a stranger.  I knew a few names, met some more folks, enjoyed the conversation.  It was fun.    And the bartender knew my name, asked where Frances was, and remembered my "usual."   

Not bad for living here just over a week.  And no, I have not been to the clubhouse EVERY DAY.  Not quite.  

I will say this, though...  it is the nature of these homes to drive in to the garage, close the garage door, and walk in to the house without encountering a soul.  Had I not picked up my butt and proactively sought people out, I would have met nobody.   There is work involved in this.  Or so I tell myself as I sip a second glass of Sauvignon Blanc!

The social stuff is what is important, really, and I have been impressed with the folks I am meeting.  Kind, generous, interesting.  Many are still working.  By and large, they have well-rehearsed stories that they tell well and enjoy telling.  

And my oh my, if the couple celebrating their 65th Anniversary is any indication of the benefits of this lifestyle, then sign me up.  They appeared to be vibrant, healthy and very, very happy.

So, there is that.

And then there is the rest of this crap.  Moving sucks.  Plain and simple.  The moving company, who gave me a THREE WEEK window for delivery of our stuff, is not delivering within that window and decided to share that with me yesterday.  "It's the nature of the business" was their comment.  At least they had a comment; they have only initiated communication with me to collect payment.

And it appears that the kitchen installer guy had quite a Father's Day Weekend..  He needed TWO AND A HALF DAYS to recover.  Which would have been at least understandable if I had not been sitting on my back porch waiting for him.

Definitely not paradise.  Not yet. 










No comments:

Post a Comment