Tuesday, June 17, 2014

This Is Not a Senior Citizen Class



I confess that my initial thought was that I am in pretty good shape and that taking an exorcise class in my 55 Plus Community would  not be particularly challenging for me.

After all, I am younger than most folks who live here and in the last few years I have pushed and climbed and disciplined myself into what feels like the best shape in my life.

Let me be very clear.   The Body Conditioning class kicked my butt.

The teacher was Jamie - a young, African American guy with a military demeanor.  "Kate Owes Us Two" he announced - with a smile on his face - as I struggled to lift myself up off the floor and on to a step using arm muscles that I was previously familiar with but cannot identify.  "We'll wait for you, Kate," as I struggled to listen to his direction and follow it at the same time.  He corrected my form.  He was nice about it, but he was also firm.  Everyone got a taste of his "personal attention" as he bellowed "THIS IS NOT A SENIOR CITIZEN CLASS."

Jamie was careful to point out, as I sat on the floor with both legs in the air, torso raised with one hand overhead, that the woman next to me was 76.  She was having no trouble with any of it.  I was panting like a dog.

Jamie's style could have been considered intimidating, I guess.   But I found it inspiring  He learned my name; he used it.  I was not anonymous and I was challenging myself - reasons one and two why I moved here in the first place.

The other folks in the class were all in good shape, clearly valued fitness, and encouraged me to come back after chastising me for not bringing a water bottle.  I may have been the youngest - but not by much.

I would like to think I will go back.  After my arm muscles recover!




No comments:

Post a Comment