Thursday, June 12, 2014

Activity



This morning I am feeling like I need to pinch myself.  Am I really living here?  

Let's see.  I started my day on a 10 mile bike ride with the biking group.  The guys (and it was mostly guys; I was the only woman who could keep up) were really knowledgeable and had ALL lived in Chicago at one point or another.  Since I was raised outside Chicago, that gave us a point of connection right away.  They knew the community outside the gates and were informative tour guides.  Really fun.  And free!

I followed that up with coffee and yogurt at the clubhouse.  Not free, but cheaper than Starbucks and just as good.  Sat outside with breakfast and the paper, called my dad, watched golfers zip by in their golf carts. Bunnies romping around.  Hummingbirds flitting about.  Not too hot yet.  Perfect.

Last night, I headed out to the clubhouse for dinner.  I told myself that I was doing this because we don't have an installed kitchen at this point, but the reality is that I would probably have gone up their anyway. I am ON A MISSION to meet people.  In an attempt to even out the physical toll of too many meals from the bar,  I rode my bike.  Probably not enough to even things out, but I am trying.

I was told right away that it was Karaoke Night.  A big deal.  Special menu.  Fine.  People were friendly, and I guess that I was even invited to sing along on a group number that a bunch of women were doing if you call "And everyone at the bar, come join us" an invitation.  I opted to sit that one out.

The singing was good.  Really good.  I didn't really know most of the songs: I had heard "I Will Always Love You" and "Cabaret" before, of course, but for the most part these folks were digging deep into the 1950s.   Makes me chuckle; I can just imagine these Karaoke nights 20 years down the line with everyone rapping or singing Madonna.  

A couple is celebrating a big wedding anniversary next week at Karaoke night, and to celebrate, they are paying the bar bill for everyone.  It's probably not fair, but I will likely stop by.  Free drinks, some singing, a little neighborhood networking.  What's not to like?  I will also remember to wish the couple well.

If we had just moved in to a typical neighborhood, we would have met 2 people by now.  Maybe.  And we would not have done anything with them.  In less than one week, I have gone bike riding with the biking club, gone to Karaoke night and accepted a dinner invitation for Friday night.

It feels like I am on vacation. I suppose at some point even vacations get monotonous, but for now, I am loving this!







No comments:

Post a Comment